Saturday 25 September 2010

Catching Fire - Book Review


Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games #2)

What is it about:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

What did I think of it:
Warning: this review is rather negative, so if you like the book you might want to skip it.

Did I think the first book in this trilogy was a great, entertaining though not very original read, this book was a not so great, not very original read.

The plot was shaky at best and unbelievable at worst. Collins is bending over backwards to be able to re-use the plot devices that made The Hunger Games popular and is pulling rabbits out of hats to start up a second storyline. I would have liked to see her trying just a little bit harder to make that second storyline (that will continue in the third book) more real. Now I was left with a feeling I got half a regurgitated story and half a story that was forced in like a Deus Ex Machina to keep the series going.

I must say after reading this book I didn't feel like reading the last book in this trilogy, but some raving reviews and the fact that I can borrow the book from a friend have made me decide to give the last book a chance so I will be reading it soon to see if this series can be redeemed.

Why should you read it:
If you liked The Hunger Games you might like this book too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed it, but I see your point as they ended up in the arena again so more of the same but a little different.