Friday 19 December 2014

The Fearless - Book Review


The Fearless
by Emma Pass


What is it about:
The Fearless. An army, powered by an incredible new serum that makes each soldier stronger, sharper, faster than their enemies. Intended as a force for good, the serum has a terrible side-effect - anyone who takes it is stripped of all humanity, empathy, love. And as the Fearless sweep through the country, forcing the serum on anyone in their path, society becomes a living nightmare.

Cass remembers the night they passed through her village. Her father was Altered. Her mother died soon after. All Cass has left is her little brother - and when Jori is snatched by the Fearless and taken to their hellish lair, Cass must risk everything to get him back.


What did I think of it:
I will confess this book caught my eye because of the cover. Then I read the blurb, and it sounded so cool I had to add the book to my wishlist. So I was over the moon when I got The Fearless as a present from a friend.

Did it live up to my expectations?

Absolutely!

The idea of a serum turning people into unfeeling monsters might not be new (zombies anyone), but Pass does a great job on making it feel new and frightening. The fact that the Fearless are still living humans, adds to the horror in my opinion.

The story starts when Cass is ten and the Fearless invade the UK. She is one of the lucky few who end up on a secluded island, away from the mayhem the Fearless bring with them.

After this introduction to Cass, the Fearless and the setting the story skips to seven years later. Cass' brother Jori is kidnapped by Fearless, and Cass has to leave the safety of the island if she wants to rescue him.

The story is told from three different viewpoints: Cass, Sol, Cass' childhood friend, and Myo, a boy who survived on the mainland and who offers to help Cass on her rescue mission.

I loved the setting of this book. First the island where Cass spent 7 years of her life, and then the world outside of this safe haven. Cass encounters many dangers, and there's a constant threat. Are the Fearless out there? What other dangers lurk? Who is Myo, and what is he hiding? Will Cass find her brother in time? I was on the edge of my seat and couldn't put this book down.

I loved reading about the journey Cass has to make to find her brother, and the things she encounters. Pass not only knows how to write action-packed scenes, but also managed to add lots of intense emotional moments.

All in all this book drew me in and wouldn't let me go until I had finished it. It's an awesome Post Apocalyptic read. You can be sure I will get my trotters on Acid, another book by Pass, and I can only hope Pass will decide to write many more Post Apocalyptic awesomeness.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome Post Apocalyptic YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: