Friday 24 July 2015

Partials - Book Review


Partials (Partials Sequence #1)
by Dan Wells


What is it about:
Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island.

But sixteen-year-old Kira is determined to find a solution. As she tries desperately to save what is left of her race, she discovers that that the survival of both humans and Partials rests in her attempts to answer questions about the war's origin that she never knew to ask.


What did I think of it:
I picked this book up expecting it to be an entertaining read, but nothing special.

To my surprise this book turned to be a really engaging and gripping read.

Yes: there were some elements that keep popping up in most Dystopian YA's. Yes: one of the plot twist was visible from miles and miles away. Still I was hooked and didn't mind. The world building in this book is really cool, and the story suspenseful.

After being decimated by the Partials, humanity is slowly dying out, because all newborns die from the virus that is still present. The ways the leaders of Long Island deal with this is both disturbing and believable, although it surprised me that not more people stood up against their leaders.

I liked Kira and some of her friends. I loved how they supported each other, and stuck together (mostly). I didn't like Kira's boyfriend I must say. Even before he did some jerky things (imo), I just couldn't find anything in him to like. There seems to be a set up for a possible love triangle though, so I'm hoping for a change in boyfriend.

The ending of this book is satisfying, but also leaves enough things open to make me want to get my trotters on the next book soon to see what will happen next.

Overall this is a really great Dystopian YA read, that I will certainly keep for rereading. I'm also checking out what other books/series Wells has written.

Why should you read it:
It's an engaging Dystopian YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: