Friday 27 November 2015

Happily Ever After - Book Review


Happily Ever After (The Selection)
by Kiera Cass


What is it about:
A companion volume to the bestselling The Selection series - extra stories and never-before-seen extras. Fans should prepare to swoon! The achingly romantic and stylish four The Selection enovellas - The Prince, The Guard, The Queen and The Favorite - together in one irresistible volume. Plus exclusive extra content - Art for each of the novellas, a new intro for each of the novellas and 3 brand new scenes from each of the first 3 novels.

Contains:
-The Queen, Amberly’s novella
-The Prince (with the two bonus chapters), Maxon’s novella
-The Guard, Aspen’s novella
-The Favorite, Marlee’s novella
-Lucy’s scene (bonus scene from The One)
-Three scenes from Celeste’s POV
-The bonus epilogue
-Where are they now?
-A map
-Various illustrations


What did I think of it:
Although I was disappointed by The Heir, I liked the original Selection trilogy, so I was very happy when I got this collection of novellas and bonus scenes.

And this is a fun addition to the trilogy.

I loved The Queen. Queen Amberly is such a nice character in the books. It was great to get to learn more about her and how she got to be picked in her own selection. I think Cass did a good job in showing how easy it can be to make wrong choices out of (misguided) love or devotion.

The Prince and The Favorite were both really enjoyable as well. It was The Guard that was my least favorite. I didn't like Aspen in the books, and in this novella he once more confirmed he's a selfish, petty jerk, in my opinion.

The other scenes and 'Where are they now' bits were a nice extra addition to the novellas. I'd advice this book to fans of the series only. If you haven't read The Selection series you won't get much out of it. I will confess that it's been so long since I read the books that I had no clue who one of the 'Where are they now' girls was, so if you haven't read the books you'll be even more lost than I.

All in all this is an enjoyable and entertaining read, and I will keep it with the other books of the series for possible rereading. And knowing myself I will most possibly cave and buy the next book in the series as well, even though I had serious issues with The Heir. Who knows: maybe The Crown will be just as much fun again as the first three books.

Why should you read it:
If you liked the original trilogy you'll enjoy this book.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: