Monday 10 October 2016

Dark Light of Day - DNF Book Review


Dark Light of Day (Noon Onyx #1)
by Jill Archer


What is it about:
Armageddon is over. The demons won. And yet somehow…the world has continued. Survivors worship patron demons under a draconian system of tributes and rules. These laws keep the demons from warring among themselves, and the world from slipping back into chaos.

Noon Onyx grew up on the banks of the river Lethe, the daughter of a prominent politician, and a descendant of Lucifer’s warlords. Noon has a secret: She was born with waning magic, the dark, destructive, fiery power that is used to control demons and maintain the delicate peace among them. But a woman with waning magic is unheard of, and some would consider her an abomination.

Noon is summoned to attend St. Lucifer’s, a school of demon law. She must decide whether to declare her powers there…or to attempt to continue hiding them, knowing the price for doing so may be death. And once she meets the forbiddingly powerful Ari Carmine—who suspects Noon is harboring magic as deadly as his own—Noon realizes there may be more at stake than just her life.


What did I think of it:
There was so much that I liked about this book.

The setting and world building is very cool. I like Noon and two of her friends. There's a boarding school! There were lawsuits! With all these things you'd think I'd love this books.

But there were also the love interests...

There's Peter, the friend from childhood who wants Noon to change instead of letting her know she's perfectly fine as she is. I did not like him!

And there's Ari, who is pushing himself on Noon from the start and who I didn't like much either.

For the sake of the story - and all those elements I did enjoy - I kept reading, but when Ari did something jerkish to make sure Noon couldn't spend time with Peter I had enough and I put down the book. The good parts of the story weren't enough to put up with the annoyance I felt over Peter and Ari.

Why should you read it:
Maybe it's just me, and you'll like the love interests as well as the rest of the story.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


No comments: