Friday 24 February 2017

Some Quiet Place - Book Review


Some Quiet Place (Some Quiet Place #1)
by Kelsey Sutton


What is it about:
Elizabeth Caldwell doesn't feel emotions... she sees them in human form. Longing hovers around the shy, adoring boy at school. Courage materializes beside her dying friend. Fury and Resentment visit her abusive home. They've all given up on Elizabeth because she doesn't succumb to their touch. All, that is, except beautiful Fear, who sometimes torments her and other times plays her compassionate savior. He’s obsessed with finding the answer to one question: What happened to Elizabeth to make her this way?

They both sense that the key to Elizabeth’s condition is somehow connected to the paintings of her dreams, which show visions of death and grief that raise more questions than answers. But as a shadowy menace begins to stalk her, Elizabeth’s very survival depends on discovering the truth about herself. When it matters most, she may not be able to rely on Fear to save her.


What did I think of it:
I'm planning on going to a convention in a few months, and as I only knew two of the authors who will be there I decided to pick up a book by one of the other authors. After examining the list of participating authors I picked Kelsey Sutton's Some Quiet Place.

And that was right on target!

This is a beautiful read.

Elizabeth may think she's void of emotions, but I have to say I agreed with Fear who is convinced there's more to Elizabeth than she herself wants to see. As the story unfolds the mystery surrounding Elizabeth deepens and I was unable to put the book down.

Not only is the story suspenseful, it's hauntingly beautiful as well. The idea of all these emotions materializing as people, each with his or her own personality was intriguing and well written. The people (family, friends, classmates) were all really interesting as well. And if there's one thing I can say against this book, it's that I wish there had been more about some of them, like Elizabeth's friend Maggie.

All in all this is a beautiful, touching story and it will definitely get a place on my reread shelves (after it gets signed by the author), and I will try to get hold of more books by Sutton as well.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful, haunting Paranormal YA read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: