Wednesday 25 April 2018

Warcross - Book Review


Warcross (Warcross #1)
by Marie Lu


What is it about:
For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.

Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire.


What did I think of it:
I will confess I was wary when I started on this book. I have tried two other books by Lu. The first I finished, but it didn't impress me, the second I DNFed. The blurb of this book did sound good though, and when it was picked as this month's read at an online book club I'm part of, I decided to give it a try.

And to my surprise I loved it!

Emika is of course a bit of a Wunderkind, good at everything she tries, but not in an annoying way. I was interested in her life from the start, and when she meets Hideko I was hooked.

The whole Warcross game was intriguing and it's clear Lu is a gamer herself, she makes Warcross and everything connected to it feel real and exciting. I actually chuckled when I encountered a reference to Leeroy Jenkins. I was as invested in Emika finding out what's going on as I was in seeing her team win the games. The scenes where they are in Warcross are creative and full of action.

I liked seeing Emika grow over the course of this book. She is closed off and stubborn at first, thinking she can handle everything on her own. It was nice to see how she warms up to others and starts trusting. Her investigation into the security problems of Warcross is dangerous and I rooted for her to stay on top of things and survive.

And then there's Hideko. If there's one thing I can say against this book it's that there's not enough Hideko. I loved him. He's a very complex character, and got more interesting and intriguing with every scene he's in.

And then there's the ending! I can tell you that the ending made me love this book even more! You bet I'll be getting my trotters on the next book, because I want more!

Why should you read it:

It's a cool futuristic YA read full of action.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: