Friday 8 February 2019

Shrill Dusk - Book Review


Shrill Dusk (City of Magic #1)
by Helen Harper


What is it about:
Charley is a cleaner by day and a professional gambler by night. She might be haunted by her tragic past but she's never thought of herself as anything or anyone special. Until, that is, things start to go terribly wrong all across the city of Manchester.

Between plagues of rats, firestorms and the gleaming blue eyes of a sexy Scottish werewolf, she might just have landed herself in the middle of a magical apocalypse. She might also be the only person who has the ability to bring order to an utterly chaotic new world.


What did I think of it:
I will confess I totally fell in love with the cover of this book. Then a friend mentioned there was a pink elephant in the story and I couldn't resist giving it a try.

This book is weird, fun, and very entertaining.

I will confess I had my doubts when reading the prologue, but once the story actually started I was soon hooked. Strange things are happening in Manchester, and Charley soon finds herself in the middle of weirdness, danger, and magic. As she and her roommate try to stay alive danger keeps finding them, and not only because Charley has a serious savior complex.

I couldn't stop reading: I had to find out why these strange things were happening and what was going on with Charley. Enter a Scottish werewolf and I was completely sold.

This book is an almost non-stop ride of action, absurd situations, and suspense. I loved Charley and her roommate Lizzy, and many more interesting and cool characters and monsters made an appearance, including a tentacled beastie and the pink elepant.

All in all this is a really fun read, so you bet I'll get my trotters on book 2 when it releases. I also discovered this series is a spin-off from another series, so I'll most certainly give that series a try as well.

Why should you read it:
It's a very entertaining and fun UF read


Buy from Amazon

No comments: