Thursday 9 July 2020

May Day - Release Day Book Review


May Day (Seekers #1)
by Josie Jaffrey


What is it about:
If the murderer you’re tracking is a vampire, then you want a vampire detective. Just maybe not this one.

It’s not that Jack Valentine is bad at her job. The youngest member of Oxford’s Seekers has an impressive track record, but she also has an impressive grudge against the local baron, Killian Drake.

When a human turns up dead on May Morning, she’s determined to pin the murder on Drake. The problem is that none of the evidence points to him. Instead, it leads Jack into a web of conspiracy involving the most powerful people in the country, people to whom Jack has no access. But she knows someone who does.

To get to the truth, Jack will have to partner up with her worst enemy. As long as she can keep her cool, Drake will point her to the ringleaders, she’ll find the murderer and no one else will have to die.

Body bags on standby.

May Day is the first book in Josie Jaffrey’s Seekers series, an urban fantasy series set in Oxford, England.


What did I think of it:
I received an ARC of this book for review, and I'm glad I did, because after reading Killian's Dead I wanted more!

This story starts twenty years after the events in Killian's Dead, but time has not mellowed Jack. She's still impulsive, reckless, and determined.

I loved Jack and the team she works with. They might not always agree with each other, but when push comes to shove they have each other's back... mostly. I very much enjoyed getting to know them and their work.

As Jack gets deeper into the investigation things get murky and dangerous. And then she has to deal with Killian as well. He makes things a whole lot more difficult than they need to be, I can tell you. And all Jack really wants is get a date with the cute female doctor who's helping with the case.

I was hooked from the start. I love the world building, the atmosphere, and most of all Jack, who just can't help getting herself into sticky situations. I was on the edge of my seat to see if Jack would manage to save the day and get that date!

All in all this is a really cool read with a satisfying ending, but enough still going on that I really am eager to get my trotters on the next book. Because I just know it will be awesome!

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and suspenseful Vampire Detective read.


buy from amazon

No comments: