Friday 18 September 2020

The Gilded King - Book Review

 


The Gilded King (Sovereign #1)
by Josie Jaffrey

What is it about:
In the Blue, the world’s last city, all is not well.

Julia is stuck within its walls. She serves the nobility from a distance until she meets Lucas, a boy who believes in fairytales that Julia’s world can’t accommodate. The Blue is her prison, not her castle, and she’d escape into the trees if she didn’t know that contamination and death awaited humanity outside.

But not everyone in the Blue is human, and not everyone can be contained.

Beyond the city’s boundaries, in the wild forests of the Red, Cameron has precious little humanity left to lose. As he searches for a lost queen, he finds an enemy rising that he thought long dead. An enemy that the humans have forgotten how to fight.

One way or another, the walls of the Blue are coming down. The only question is what side you’ll be on when they do.

What did I think of it:
I've really been enjoying Josie Jaffrey's books, so I was very happy I won this book in her monthly giveaway. 

And this is a cool read.

The story switches between Julia and Cameron. Julia is a human born in the Blue, the world's last city (or is it?). She longs for different things, but the danger of the Red keeps her captive in the Blue. Cameron hasn't been human for ages and is hunting for his lost queen in the Red.

I will confess I like Julia's storyline the most. I could relate to her and feared for life and that of her best friend. I was totally rooting for her to find a way to live the life she wants.

Cameron's storyline is the most action-packed and therefor also cool, but I didn't connect with him. Still I was on the edge of my seat to see what would happen next.

All in all this is a very cool and suspenseful read. I most certainly will get my trotters on the next book to see what will happen next.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool Dystopian YA read.


buy from amazon


No comments: