Wednesday 9 August 2023

Assimilation - Book Review

 

Assimilation (The Societies #1)
by Sydney Reames)

What is it about:
Seven Societies. One Choice. No Turning Back.

Kena grew up inside Verkent, a conspiracy group whose belief that aliens originated human life on Earth was mocked—until the aliens returned, with a mission to decide whether Earth should be allowed to rejoin their Alliance.

When Kena is invited to participate in the Choosing, it seems the orphaned teen’s lifelong dream of Assimilating into one of seven different but equally wondrous Societies in their home worlds is coming true. But from the moment she and other Earthers arrive at the Societals’ central space station, it becomes clear they’re under threat, not only from their suspicious hosts but also an enemy long thought dead.

With the Societies shaken by turmoil, her own fierce powers growing, a budding romance, and her friends' lives on the line, Kena faces a high-stakes Can she find not only a place for herself in these worlds, but a way to save everyone else who calls them home?

What did I think of it:
When I got the offer to get a review copy of this book I jumped on it, as it sounded like my kind of read.

I had a hard time getting into this book at first as some of the things that were told seemed illogical to me. Now I have confess I do tend to overthink things, so I decided to suspend disbelief for a bit as the whole Choosing thing did sound cool.

And I'm glad I did because once Kena and the others join the Choosing the story got so good! I was soon totally engrossed and eager to find out where it would lead.

The Societies all have their own distinguished looks and powers, while still looking mostly human. I loved learning more about each Society while rooting for Kena and her friends to discover what they got mixed up in. 

When after lots of cool action and intrigue I reached the ending of the book it was hard to believe I had such misgivings at the start of this book. You bet I will get my greedy trotters on the next book, and not only because this one ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. I need more! 

Why should you read this:
It's a really cool YA SF read


buy from Amazon


No comments: