Monday 8 January 2024

Ghost of a Chance - Book Review (repost/reread)

 

Ghost of a Chance (Karma Marx, #1) 
by Katie Macalister

What is it about:
While trapped in a house with her sleazy husband Spider and other characters, Karma Marx, who exorcises haunted houses for a living, investigates Spider's murder, forcing her to find the truth among the living and the dead.

What did I think of it:
A nice, if somewhat shaky mystery with an intriguing setting. In this book Macalister (writing under the name Marsh) proves she doesn't need snarky characters and steamy romance to keep you reading. I really liked how she uses creatures she also uses in her Dark Ones series and expands on them in this story. I also really liked Karma and Macalister's writing style holds up perfectly when stripped of the snark, which made it a lot more serious than her Dark Ones books, but I must say I enjoyed the more serious tone. The plot was a bit wobbly at times, but all in all I really enjoyed reading this book and I hope there will be more books in this series.

Notes on rereading:
I got the new (re-released) ebook and read that instead of my 13 year old print copy which should be somewhere among my many books. And I must say I'm tempted to dig up that old copy to see if the original ending is the same, as the ending felt rushed as if there was a scene left out or some extra scene was just slapped on to connect this book to the next one, Otherwise this held up fine and I'll be reading book 2 soon. 

Why should you read it:
It's a nicely written paranormal whodunnit


No comments: