Thursday 29 February 2024

Disappearing Nightly - Book Review

 

Disappearing Nightly (Esther Diamond #1)
by Laura Resnick

What is it about:
“I’m not a heroine; I just play heroines. Also psychotics, orphans, vamps, hookers, and housewives.”

When bizarre magical disappearances disrupt performances in the Big Apple, struggling actress Esther Diamond receives a cryptic warning not to appear in an Off-Broadway musical because “there is Evil among us.”

Since the show much go on, Esther teams up with a conjuring cowboy, a banker with stage aspirations, and a group of drag queens. They’re led in their efforts by Esther’s new BFF, Dr. Maximillian Zadok, a 350-year-old mage whose day job is protecting New York from Evil. Also on the case is Detective Connor Lopez, a sexy cop who fears that Max and Esther may be a bigger problem than the vanishing performers.

Boldly facing down an enraged producer, a hungry tiger, and other deadly obstacles, Esther, Max, and their friends pursue Evil to its lair in their fearless determination to find the missing performers and restore harmony to their city.

What did I think of it:
This is a really enjoyable read.

I liked Esther and several of the characters she encounters along the way. The writing is pleasant and I was curious to see what exactly was going on. I didn't much care for the love interest, but what else is new? 

Resnick is generous with clues, and at one point it's clear who the bad guy was. From there on out it felt like the story dragged a bit in it resolve, but that might have been my mood. Still the story was fun enough to keep me entertained. I got hold of the next three books and will pick up book 2 soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and enjoyable UF read.


No comments: