Friday 2 July 2010

Kitty and the Midnight Hour - Book Review

Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

What is it about:
VAMPIRES. WEREWOLVES. TALK RADIO. Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station—and a werewolf in the closet. Sick of lame song requests, she accidentally starts "The Midnight Hour," a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged. After desperate vampires, werewolves, and witches across the country begin calling in to share their woes, her new show is a raging success. But it’s Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew…

What did I think of it:
I was not planning on reading this book just yet as I was reading another book and wanted to finish that first, but after reading a couple of pages to get a taste of this book I was hooked and couldn't put it down until I finished it. Vaughn's writing style is very pleasant, the story fast paced and Kitty is a likeable character. The world building is good and intriguing. Vaughn sets up a storyline that will continue in future books, but because there's also enough other things going on it doesn't get frustrating that it isn't resolved in this book. The one setback is that again a character I though was very intriguing didn't survive the book, but I'm getting used to it and luckily there's some other cool characters that will be returning in future books.

Why should you read it:
It's a fast paced, well written Urban Fantasy.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me at a werewolf named "Kitty".

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I like the idea of late night talk radio. For some reason, it reminds me of blogging! =P And I like to pretend I'm a closet werewolf, so . . . ;-)

Danielle said...

This is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series! Kitty has a real transformation over 7 books. In the first book she was the runt of the werewolf littler, content to be trampled on by Alpha's. But she slowly gains self-confidence and strength and by book #7 she's really done a 180 degree turn-about.

Brilliant series :)

Sullivan McPig said...

I really liked this book and I will certainly read the others

vvb32 reads said...

yay! glad you liked it.