Saturday 5 February 2011

Twenties Girl - A Book Review by Voodoo Bride


Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

What is it about:
Lara Lington has always had an overactive imagination, but suddenly that imagination seems to be in overdrive. Normal professional twenty-something young women don’t get visited by ghosts. Or do they?
When the spirit of Lara’s great-aunt Sadie (a feisty, demanding girl with firm ideas about fashion, love, and the right way to dance) mysteriously appears, she has one last request: Lara must find a missing necklace that had been in Sadie’s possession for more than seventy-five years, and Sadie cannot rest without it. Lara, on the other hand, has a number of ongoing distractions. Her best friend and business partner has run off to Goa, her start-up company is floundering, and she’s just been dumped by the “perfect” man.

Sadie, however, could care less.


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I will confess I read the first Shopaholic book by Kinsella and although I liked her writing style, the story itself wasn't for me. So when I saw this book I decided to give Kinsella another chance and I'm very glad I did as I love Twenties Girl!

Lara is a character you can't help loving although she clearly needs to learn to stand up for herself, while Sadie is so spoilt I wanted to kick her at several occasions. As Lara is the only one who can see Sadie, the girls have to learn to work together and both learn a lot in the proces of finding Sadie's necklace. Kinsella's writing style is light, funny and fluffy with a romance added to it that I really enjoyed, which makes this book perfect reading material when you just want to relax and enjoy an easy read.

All in all I think I might pick up other Kinsella books in the future although I will stay away from the Shopaholic series.

Why should you read it:
It's an easy, fluffy romantic read.

2 comments:

Nina said...

I havent read any books in the Shopaholic series, and I don't think I will in the future. Even though I do like easy, fluffy and romance. ;) Great review.

PS; I didn't knew that Barbucci drawed W.I.T.C.H. I only know W.I.T.C.H from the show. ;)

Anonymous said...

I've read all the Shopaholic books, but I like her stand-alone books more. Becky is funny to a point, but her shopping addiction and lies are getting old. I really want to read this one, so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it.