Thursday 4 October 2012

Insurgent - Book Review


Insurgent (Divergent #2)
by Veronica Roth


What is it about:
One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.


What did I think of it:
This book was even more suspenseful and intense than Divergent.

I loved the main story and almost couldn't put the book down. There's so much happening in this book, so much intrigue, lies, secrets and distrust. You keep guessing what's going to happen and who will betray whom next. At times I was chilled by how people reacted to the things that are happening and at the naive way some of them looked at the world.

I had some difficulties with Tris and Four. Egh... They were acting so teen angsty and sulky towards each other at times. I would almost rather have had a love triangle than this sappy nonsense to keep the romance 'interesting'. I really think they should have communicated more and wanted to slap some sense into them.

The world building still didn't make sense to me and some things happened that made me frown even more, but once again I decided to take it for granted for the sake of the story. It seems book three might give me more insight in the inner workings of the setting though.

In the end I very much enjoyed this book. It's an entertaining and gripping story and I look forward to reading the next and final book in this trilogy, but I'll have to wait until fall 2013.

Why should you read it:
It's a suspenseful Dystopian YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


3 comments:

M.A.D. said...

Still haven't read Insurgent yet, but I'm glad you really enjoyed it!! I'm kinda fuzzy on my own *mental image* of this world building, too - but I think BEFORE I read Insurgent, I'll go back and re-read Divergent. Maybe that'll help lol

Melliane said...

I still have to try the first one, and you're too fast for me to catch you up lol.

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks girls :)