Monday 7 January 2019

To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Book Review


To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #1)
by Jenny Han


What is it about:
Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. One for every boy she's ever loved. When she writes, she can pour out her
heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control.


What did I think of it:
I saw the Netflix movie that is based on this book and really liked it. So I decided to give the book a try as well.

I must say the movie made some changes to the story that made that some of the characters are more sympathetic in the movie than in the book.

Not that I didn't like the book. To be honest, I think the book is better than the movie. For those who haven't seen the movie or read the book:

Lara Jean's secret love letters get send to the boys she wrote them to. One of these boys is her sister's ex-boyfriend. In a foolish attempt to make things less awkward she pretends to have a relationship with another boy: Peter. Peter decides to play along for his own reasons.

I loved Lara Jean and Peter. They have so much more depth and background than can be shown in a movie. I loved reading about their fake relationship and how Lara Jean is forced into the spotlight instead of hiding in her usual shadows.

Lara Jean's sisters however...

In the movie her older sister Margot only has a very small part. In the book more is revealed about Margot. She's the typical older sister who decided to take care of her younger sisters, and thinks this allows her to control them. I seriously disliked her. The younger sister is even worse. She was a spoiled spiteful little shit, imo.

The sisters aside, I very much enjoyed this book. It's fun and fluffy, the perfect read when you want to relax. I'll be picking up the next book in this trilogy soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and fluffy YA read.


buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

Nikki (www.bookpunks.com) said...

Hmmm the sisters would probably annoy me so much I would end up throwing it across the room ha. I enjoyed the movie, but miiiight just skip on the book then.