Wednesday 11 September 2019

Kingdom of Souls - Book Review


Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls #1)
by Rena Barron


What is it about:
Magic has a price—if you’re willing to pay.

Born into a family of powerful witchdoctors, Arrah yearns for magic of her own. But each year she fails to call forth her ancestral powers, while her ambitious mother watches with growing disapproval.

There’s only one thing Arrah hasn’t tried, a deadly last resort: trading years of her own life for scraps of magic. Until the Kingdom’s children begin to disappear, and Arrah is desperate to find the culprit.

She uncovers something worse. The long-imprisoned Demon King is stirring. And if he rises, his hunger for souls will bring the world to its knees… unless Arrah pays the price for the magic to stop him.


What did I think of it:
I got my trotters on an Advance Reader Copy of this book at Worldcon, that's why the title isn't on the cover.

I very much enjoyed this book, but I also struggled with it.

The writing is beautiful as is the worldbuilding and mythology. I also loved the descriptions and the characters. What I struggled with was the pacing. I don't mind a slow pace, but here it seemed to drag while the situation was dire and I wanted things to move forward, while later in the story things seemed to go very fast all of the sudden.

It felt to me as if the storyline in this book was too long somehow. I think I would have liked this book to be cut in two. The first book building up to a certain climax somewhere in this book. And then the next book would be about the events that went too fast in this book in my opinion.

That said: it could just be me, because apart from the pacing I very much enjoyed the story and was totally trying to guess what would happen next and how things would end.

All in all a very enjoyable and intriguing story. I will keep an eye out for the next book.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful and enjoyable Fantasy read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: