Friday 13 September 2019

Magic for Liars - Book Review


Magic for Liars
by Sarah Gailey


What is it about:
Ivy Gamble has never wanted to be magic. She is perfectly happy with her life—she has an almost-sustainable career as a private investigator, and an empty apartment, and a slight drinking problem. It's a great life and she doesn't wish she was like her estranged sister, the magically gifted professor Tabitha.

But when Ivy is hired to investigate the gruesome murder of a faculty member at Tabitha’s private academy, the stalwart detective starts to lose herself in the case, the life she could have had, and the answer to the mystery that seems just out of her reach.


What did I think of it:
I love American Hippo, so I really wanted to try more by Sarah Gailey. I had the opportunity to pick up Magic for Liars at Worldcon and got it signed as well.

And what an amazing read!

I was hooked from the start. Ivy is very easy to relate to. She pretends she never wanted to be magic like her sister, but it's clear she feels tons of resentment and jealousy. When she gets the opportunity to investigate a murder that happened at the Magical academy it's easy to understand how she feels, and why she's comparing the school life at the academy with her own, and why she slowly gets caught up in the magical life she could have lived.

Next to the emotional journey Ivy embarks on in this story there is a really intriguing murder mystery, teen dramas and secrets, and more. I was totally invested and rooted for Ivy to find out what happened. The school was a perfect setting and I loved trying to guess what was going on and who had something to hide.

All in all this is a really cool and awesome read that I will most certainly reread. I will also get my greedy trotters on more books by Gailey for sure.

Why should you read it:
It's an amazing magical murder mystery


buy from bookdepository

No comments: