Wednesday 9 April 2014

Silver Mirrors - Early Book Review


Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum #2)
by A.A. Aguirre


What is it about:
As powerful magic comes creeping back, dangerous days are dawning…...

Criminal Investigation Division inspectors Janus Mikani and Celeste Ritsuko were lucky to make it out of their last mission alive. Since then, strange troubles have plagued the city of steam and shadows, apparently as a result of magic released during the CID inspectors’ desperate interruption of an ancient ritual. The fabric of the world has been unsettled, and the Council has assigned Mikani and Ritsuko to investigate.

They soon discover that matters are worse than they imagined. Machines have developed minds of their own, cragger pirates are raiding the seas with relentless aggression, and mad elementals are running amok. As the chaos builds to a crescendo, Mikani and Ritsuko must fight a war on two fronts—and this time, they may not be able to turn the deadly tide….


What did I think of it:
I loved the first book in this series, so you can imagine my excitement when I got an Advance Reader Copy of Silver Mirrors.

And this yet another great read.

I will confess I had my doubts at first, when Ritsuko and Mikani left the city. I very much enjoyed that setting in the first book, and wasn't so sure if I'd like a sea adventure, which seemed what this story was going for.

I shouldn't have worried though. Andres and Ann know how to tell a compelling story, no matter where that story is set. Soon I forgot all about the city, and was gripped by the unfolding events.

New characters were introduced, some who I liked from the start, others I had to warm up to, but all were intriguing and added to the story. There was action, adventure, disaster and intense situations. The relationship between Ritsuko and Mikani is still a complex and difficult one, and there were some other people with emotional investments towards the two as well, creating tension.

All in all this is a cool and action packed story with an ending that makes me hungry for more. I will be keeping my eyes open for the next book in this series for sure.

Why should you read it:
It's an action-packed Steampunk read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I should read book 1!

Aurian said...

It sounds very good Sullivan! I find myself liking Steampunk more and more lately.