Tuesday 31 March 2015

Hellbender - Book Review


Hellbender (Fangborn #3)
by Dana Cameron


What is it about:
I-Day is near at hand, and soon the Fangborn will reveal themselves to humankind. As a member of this secretive race of werewolves, vampires, and oracles, will archaeologist Zoe Miller be prepared?

Still grappling with the newfound powers she gained after opening Pandora’s box, Zoe shares the responsibility of protecting “Normal” humans. Having long preferred to keep to the shadows, she knows the pending revelation of the Fangborn will set the world on fire. With Fangborn enemies in the Order of Nicomedia forcing their hand, Zoe and her supernatural Family have no choice but to step into the spotlight. But that decision has garnered the attention of the powerful and otherworldly beings known as the Makers. They claim to have created the Fangborn—not as saviors, but as predators. And it seems they have their own plans for Zoe…and for the fate of all the Fangborn.

Filled with stunning twists, Hellbender takes the Fangborn series to a thrilling new dimension.


What did I think of it:
This series is so awesome!

The last book ended on quite a cliffhanger, so I was thrilled when I got my trotters on an early copy of Hellbender for review.

The story continues where Pack of Strays left off and soon Zoe is in the middle of action and danger again. She has quite a lot on her plate this time: The Makers are contacting Zoe, forcing her to make decisions she might not be ready for.

I love how Zoe stays so down to earth and caring, even with all the power that is thrown her way. She keeps trying to do what she thinks is right. She manages to gather people (and creatures) around her who help her stay strong and on course.

The romance in this book is mostly on a back burner - there's so much going on in Zoe's life, it would be a surprise if she managed to fit in a passionate affair - but there are still some scenes between Zoe and her two love interests. I can tell you I'm still hoping that Zoe will find happiness with Adam.

The events and action in this book feel epic and world changing. Often I lose my interest when stories take the DOOM! route, but Cameron manages to make me believe in the unfolding events, and care. I was rooting for Zoe and her allies to survive and safe the day.

And the ending: Argh! I need the next book! I want to know what's next.

You can bet I'll be stalking Dana Cameron's website for news on the next book. In the mean time I'll be giving her Emma Fielding series a try.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome, action packed Urban Fantasy read


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Melliane said...

I want I want and finally I'm too late with ebooks to try it... I'm sad.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Awesome to hear! Glad you've been enjoying the series so. I'd like to give it a try one day. :)