Monday 23 March 2015

Under Nameless Stars - Book Review


Under Nameless Stars (Zenn Scarlett #2)
by Christian Schoon


What is it about:
Zenn Scarlett’s novice year of exoveterinarian training on Mars isn’t quite going to plan…

After barely surviving a plot to destroy her school and its menagerie of alien patients, could things at the Ciscan cloister get any worse? Yes. Yes they could: Zenn’s absent father Warra Scarlett has suddenly ceased all communication with her. Desperate to learn what’s become of him, Zenn stows away aboard the Helen of Troy, a starliner powered by one of the immense, dimension-jumping beasts known as Indra.

With her is Liam Tucker, a towner boy who is either very fond of her, very dangerous to her, or both. On the verge of learning the truth about her dad, Zenn’s quest suddenly catapults her and Liam thousands of light years beyond known space, and into the dark heart of a monstrous conspiracy. Braving a gauntlet of lethal environments and unearthly life forms, her courage and exovet skills will now be tested as never before.

With the fate of entire worlds hanging in the balance, Zenn is racing headlong into trouble… again.


What did I think of it:
After reading Stone in the Sky I was in the mood for more Science Fiction, and remembered I had Under Nameless Stars, the sequel to Zenn Scarlett, somewhere in my TBR pile.

And this is a very entertaining read.

There are lots of new cool alien species in this book, and although I missed my favorite character from the first book, I fell in love with some of the new characters. I liked the world building and the overall plot as well.

The action seemed a bit unbalanced I will confess. The first part of the book is slow, with Zenn making friends, talking to people and trying to stay out of trouble. Then the action kicks in and you get danger, piled on top of intrigue, on top of danger.

I also wondered why Liam was added to the story. He is placed firmly on the backseat and didn't really seem necessary for the plot. Not that I minded, because I didn't much like him.

Those things aside this is a fun and entertaining read, and I very much enjoyed it. I will keep an eye out for other books by Schoon.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable YA SciFi read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Aurian said...

I do like the cover :)