Friday 5 June 2015

Dragon Age: The Calling - Book Review


The Calling (Dragon Age #2)
by David Gaider


What is it about:
This is a prequel to "Dragon Age: Origins", the hit role-playing video game from Bioware.

King Maric has allowed the legendary Grey Wardens to return to Ferelden. One of their own has aligned himself with their ancient enemy, the monstrous darkspawn. Maric agrees to lead the Grey Wardens, chasing after a deadly secret that threatens to destroy the Grey Wardens and the kingdom.


What did I think of it:
As happens to me often: There was a character that appears at the start of Dragon Age: Origins who I really liked, but he was one of the first to die.

When I read that he plays a large part in this prequel novel, I decided to pick the book up.

And this is a really cool read, especially for people who love the game.

I loved learning a bit more about the history of Ferelden. It was also great to learn more about the Grey Wardens, the darkspawn, and that certain character of course.

It is clear that this story is written by one of the writers of Dragon Age: Origins, and that he used lots of the elements that were used in the game as well, but I didn't care. It was a fun, action-packed story, full of cool characters and events.

I was hooked from the start and couldn't put the book down until I finished it. There was suspense, lots of fighting and heartache. Some events made me question some of the choices I made in the game, and I'm already planning another play-through.

I think this book can also be read by people unfamiliar with the game, but you will miss out on small, fun details that will delight fans of the game.

All in all this book is a wonderful read and a must have for fans of Dragon Age: Origins. I will put it on my keeper shelves, and I might pick up other books in this series as well.

Why should you read it:
It's an action-packed Fantasy adventure.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: