Wednesday 11 July 2018

Heroine's Journey - Book Review


Heroine's Journey (Heroine Complex #3)
by Sarah Kuhn


What is it about:
The final book in the smart, snarky, and action-packed Heroine series completes the "Heroic Trio" as Bea Tanaka joins her sister, Evie, and diva Aveda Jupiter in their quest to free San Francisco from its demon portal problem

If there's one thing Beatrice Tanaka never wanted to be, it's normal. But somehow, her life has unfolded as a series of "should haves." Her powers of emotional projection should have made her one of the most formidable superheroes of all time. And she should have been allowed to join her older sister Evie as a full-fledged protector of San Francisco, pulverizing the city's plethora of demon threats.

But Evie and her superheroing partner, Aveda Jupiter, insist on seeing Bea as the impulsive, tempestuous teenager she used to be--even though she's now a responsible adult. And that means Bea is currently living a thoroughly normal life. She works as a bookstore lackey, hangs out with best friends Sam Fujikawa and Leah Kim, and calms her workplace's more difficult customers. Sure, she's not technically supposed to be playing with people's mental states. But given the mundanity of her existence, who can blame her?

When a mysterious being starts communicating with Bea, hinting at an evil that's about to overtake the city, she seizes the opportunity, hoping to turn her "should haves" into the fabulous heroic life she's always wanted. But gaining that life may mean sacrificing everything--and everyone--she holds dear...


What did I think of it:
I loved the other two books in this trilogy so got my trotters on this one as soon as it released.

And what a cool read.

I will confess I didn't expect to love Bea as much as I did. She was a complete brat in Heroine Complex, and although she shaped up a bit in Heroine Worship, I had my doubts. I shouldn't have feared. Just like Aveda won my heart in Heroine Worship after a rocky start in Heroine Complex, Bea won my heart as well. I even wanted to kick Evie for being a typical older sibling, and Evie has been my favorite so far.

I also loved Sam, Leah, and Leah's dog Pancake. Especially Sam was fun and a true friend. I loved that he called Bea out when she made mistakes and let her know when she went too far. Leah tried to do this as well, but seemed to be less confident.

The story was full of action, mystery and emotion. There were some things I could puzzle out, but other things took me by surprise. I loved seeing how things came together. If I hadn't been forced to stop reading for such things as dinner and social commitments I'd have easily finished this book in one sitting.

All in all a great read. I'll most definitely keep my eyes out for more books by Kuhn.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome super heroine read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: