Monday 16 July 2018

Nil Unlocked - Book Review


Nil Unlocked (Nil #2)
by Lynne Matson


What is it about:
On the island of Nil, the rules are set. You have exactly 365 days to escape—or you die. Rives is now the undisputed Leader of Nil City, but keeping the City united is tougher than ever.

Raiders have grown bolder, supplies are dwindling, and non-human inhabitants have taken a turn toward the deadly. New arrivals cause rifts within the City, putting the Search system at risk, and calling everything Rives knows into question. Desperate for answers, he teams up with the only other person searching for them: Skye, a new arrival with a mysterious past of her own. Soon the duo find themselves locked in a desperate race to save all the residents of Nil—and possibly destroy the island forever. But at what cost? And who will pay the price?


What did i think of it:
I read NIL, the first book in this series, in 2014 when it released. The next year NIL Unlocked released, but managed to fly under my radar, as did the last book, NIL on Fire. When I came across NIL when rearranging my bookshelves not long ago, I decided it was time to continue with this series. Amazon had the other two books in hardcover for a very decent price, so I got both of them at once.

And NIL Unlocked is even better than NIL in my opinion.

NIL is a dangerous and mysterious place, but in this book Skye is hunting for answers and she takes some risky chances in her search for the truth about NIL. I loved Skye and rooted for her to find the answers she seeks.

Rives is also a great character. He is trying to be a good leader for the teens on NIL, but that is difficult at times. He takes risks as well, some that might cost him his future if he's not careful.

There were some really interesting and cool other characters as well, and I was eager to find out if NIL would give up its secrets. There were some deaths, secrets, possible betrayals, and angry, angry hippos. I had a great time with book.

The end is satisfying, but also throws out some last surprises that made me very glad i already had the last book in the series as well. Because I need to know what will happen next.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and exciting YA read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: