Friday 13 July 2018

NIL - Book Review (repost)


NIL
by Lynne Matson


What is it about:
On the mysterious island of Nil, the rules are set. You have one year. Exactly 365 days--to escape, or you die.

Seventeen-year-old Charley doesn’t know the rules. She doesn’t even know where she is. The last thing she remembers is blacking out, and when she wakes up, she’s lying naked in an empty rock field.

Lost and alone, Charley finds no sign of other people until she meets Thad, the gorgeous leader of a clan of teenage refugees. Soon Charley learns that leaving the island is harder than she thought . . . and so is falling in love. With Thad’s time running out, Charley realizes that to save their future, Charley must first save him. And on an island rife with dangers, their greatest threat is time.


What did I think of it:
This is a cool read.

I will confess the premise of this book sounded so cool I boughtit even though it was priced over 10 Euro, and I usually only buy books that are priced below 10 Euro (unless it's by an autobuy author).

And even though there's less action than I expected, I very much enjoyed this story. I liked Charley and how she deals with what happens with her. Most of the other characters were interesting as well, although some were a bit flat, but seeing there were lots of characters, that's only to be expected.

The story is compelling and I was invested in the lead characters and their closest friends from the start. There are lots of unknowns and I liked how both the characters and the reader are left hanging. There are answers to be found, but Matson makes her characters work for it. I also liked that there are actual character deaths, and not just the flat characters either. It certainly gave the feeling no one is safe.

Overall this is a really intense and cool island adventure Young Adult romance. I will certainly keep an eye out for what else Matson may write.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and entertaining YA read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: