Friday 26 July 2019

Alien: Echo - Book Review


Alien: Echo
by Mira Grant


What is it about:
An original young adult novel of the Alien universe

Olivia and her twin sister Viola have been dragged around the universe for as long as they can remember. Their parents, both xenobiologists, are always in high demand for their research into obscure alien biology.

Just settled on a new colony world, they discover an alien threat unlike anything they’ve ever seen. And suddenly the sisters’ world is ripped apart.

On the run from terrifying aliens, Olivia’s knowledge of xenobiology and determination to protect her sister are her only weapons as the colony collapses into chaos. But then a shocking family secret bursts open—one that’s as horrifying to Olivia as the aliens surrounding them.

The creatures infiltrate the rich wildlife on this virgin colony world—and quickly start adapting. Olivia’s going to have to adapt, too, if she’s going to survive...


What did I think of it:
After reading Immunity I was in the mood for more SF, so I picked up Mira Grant's Alien: Echo.

This book is set in the Alien Universe, so I of course expected Aliens! I was not disappointed.

The story has a nice build up of tension. We get introduced to Oivia and her family, the planet they're currently on and its inhabitants, both human and the native flora and fauna. There are some hints to secrets that had me guessing, and I was totally involved in Olivia's life, hopes, and dreams. There's a really cute romance as well that had me smiling.

Then the proverbial shit hits the fan and there is action and chaos abound.

People familiar with the Alien movies might be able to guess what horrors Olivia encounters, and what dangers she and those she cares about are subjected to. I was rooting like crazy for them to survive. Once the action started I couldn't put the book down, I had to know how things would end.

All in all this book was everything I hoped it would be. It will most definitely get a place on my reread shelves.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome YA SF read.


buy from bookdepository


No comments: