Friday 12 July 2019

Into the Drowning Deep - Book Review


Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep #1)
by Mira Grant


What is it about:
Seven years ago, the Atargatis set off on a voyage to the Mariana Trench to film a “mockumentary” bringing to life ancient sea creatures of legend. It was lost at sea with all hands. Some have called it a hoax; others have called it a maritime tragedy.

Now, a new crew has been assembled. But this time they’re not out to entertain. Some seek to validate their life’s work. Some seek the greatest hunt of all. Some seek the truth. But for the ambitious young scientist Victoria Stewart this is a voyage to uncover the fate of the sister she lost.

Whatever the truth may be, it will only be found below the waves. But the secrets of the deep come with a price.


What did I think of it:
I really enjoyed Parasite and remembered I bought Into the Drowning Deep when it was on sale, so I decided to give it a try.

And this is yet another suspenseful read.

Grant is a master at setting atmosphere and building tension. I think this might be what put me off Feed: I wanted a zombie mayhem story, but got moody suspense. Maybe if I would reread Feed I'd enjoy it more this time. But back to Into the Drowning Deep.

I loved the way the tension and suspense build up to the moment things start to go wrong. By the time the proverbial shit hits the fan I was so into the story and mood that I was unable to put the book down. I had to know what would happen to the characters: both those I loved and those I loathed.

There were some characters I had wanted to know a bit more about, but luckily there were plenty more to get to know, love or hate, and root for. This is a tense, dark, and creepy story, and you bet I will read more by Grant!

Why should you read it:
It's an atmospheric and suspenseful read set at sea.


buy from Amazon

No comments: