Friday 15 November 2019

Taming Demons for Beginners - Book Review


Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
by Annette Marie


What is it about:
Rule one: Don't look at the demon.

When I arrived at my uncle's house, I expected my relatives to be like me—outcast sorcerers who don't practice magic. I was right about the sorcery, but wrong about everything else.

Rule two: Don't listen to the demon.

My uncle chose a far deadlier power. He calls creatures of darkness into our world, binds them into service contracts, and sells them to the highest bidder. And I'm supposed to act like I don't know how illegal and dangerous it is.

Rule three: Don't talk to the demon.

All I had to do was keep my nose out of it. Pretend I didn't find the summoning circle in the basement. Pretend I didn't notice the shadowy being trapped inside it. Pretend I didn't break the rules.

But I did, and now it's too late.


What did I think of it:
I love the Guild Codex: Spellbound series, so I had to try this spin-off from that series.

And this book is so much fun!

I really liked Robin: she's an introverted bookish young woman, who ends up in trouble because of her curiosity and kindheartedness. She binds herself to a demon without knowing the rules and will have to figure things out on the run, because soon all hell breaks loose.

The events in this book run alongside the events in book 4 of the Spellbound series, and it was fun to see where the stories overlap. But don't fear, new readers: this series is perfectly readable without having read the Spellbound series, as a good friend of mine can attest.

This book is just as fun and suspenseful as the books in the Spellbound series, but Robin is a very different character than Tori is, so she gets herself in trouble in new and creative ways. I was hooked from the start and couldn't put the book down until I finished it. You bet I ordered the next book right away!

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and suspenseful Urban Fantasy read.


buy from bookdepository

No comments: