Thursday 6 February 2020

Emissary - Book Review


Emissary (Sekhmet's Army)
by Marcella Burnard


What is it about:
Years ago, I left my home in Menethes. I left in anger, cursing my mother. I was a child and a foolish one at that. I earned my sword and my place as a warrior in Sekhmet's Army. Now, the priestesses bid me return to the land of my birth. For fel sorcery has stricken the land. It has usurped the throne, enslaved the people, murdered the priests, and defiled the sacred precincts of every temple in the city. Sekhmet, the Fire in the Desert, demands justice.

She has chosen me to deliver it. Though I am strong, I have no shield against sorcery. If I fail, I die. Success? That, too, may well end in my death. But failure? Failure will cost me my soul.


What did I think of it:
This was a reread for me. This short story was first released in the anthology Thunder on the Battlefield: Sword.

And it was so good to revisit this story. I love how Marcella Burnard manages to create a whole world in such a short story. With a minimum of words she manages to have this story breathe atmosphere and life.

The story itself is beautiful and I wouldn't mind if Marcella Burnard writes more stories in this world: I'd gobble them all up I can tell you.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful Fantasy read.


buy from amazon

No comments: