Friday 28 February 2020

Malice - Book Review


Malice
by Pintip Dunn


What is it about:
What I know: a boy in my school will one day wipe out two-thirds of the population with a virus.

What I don’t know: who he is.

In a race against the clock, I not only have to figure out his identity, but I’ll have to outwit a voice from the future telling me to kill him. Because I’m starting to realize no one is telling the truth. But how can I play chess with someone who already knows the outcome of my every move? Someone so filled with malice they’ve lost all hope in humanity? Well, I’ll just have to find a way—because now they’ve drawn a target on the only boy I’ve ever loved... 


What did I think of it:
*slight spoilers if you know me*
I totally couldn't resist that cover I will confess.

And this is actually a really cool read as well.

I really liked Alice, she tries to do the right thing even when it means she has to sacrifice the things and persons that matter to her. I also liked that she might listen to her future self, but doesn't take what she is told as the absolute truth. She questions what she is told and her beliefs.

During her quest to save the future she meets Bandit, a fellow student who might be either the culprit, or an ally in her search for the future terrorist. I liked him. He's cocky, but not a total jerk as so many love interests seem to be in YA at the moment.

The time travel thing in this book isn't fool proof, but believable enough I was willing to go with it for the sake of the story.

Of course the culprit was easy to identify, as it is of course the usual suspect and that part of the book really made me gag. But surprisingly enough Dunn did some things with the story and outcome that I hadn't expected and that made that I could live with the other decisions she made.

So all in all I enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected when I had read the first couple of chapters. Definitely a book for my keeper shelves.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool YA read.


buy from bookdepository

No comments: