Monday 24 February 2020

Twelve Kingdoms Reread: The Crown of the Queen - book review

I have been a bit distracted by things, so I forgot to continue my reread last week, but yesterday I sat down and reread The Crown of the Queen. Here's my initial review. Notes on rereading at the end.


The Crown of the Queen - A Twelve Kingdoms Novella
by Jeffe Kennedy


What is it about:
Dafne Mailloux, librarian and temporary babysitter to the heirs to the High Throne of the Twelve – now Thirteen – Kingdoms, finds it difficult to leave the paradise of Annfwn behind. Particularly that trove of rare books in temptingly unfamiliar languages. But duty calls, and hers is to the crown. It’s not like her heart belongs elsewhere. But how can she crown a queen who hesitates to take the throne?

What did I think of it:
Voodoo Bride and I are big fans of Jeffe Kennedy, so we were very happy to get a review copy of this novella.

And this is a great novella.

It serves as a bridge between The Talon of the Hawk and the upcoming The Pages of the Mind, filling in details of some events too big to put as an epilogue in the first of those two books, and with not enough impact on the second to start The Pages of the Mind with.

Still there are things happening that fans of the series want to know about. This novella gives us the events surrounding the coronation of Ursula, and gives us a glimpse into Dafne's mind. There are answers to questions readers of The Talon of the Hawk might have had, and exciting glimpses of what might come next.

Having read all the books and novellas in this series, I am not the best person to tell you if this can be read as a standalone, but honestly: Don't! Just read all the books. They're so good!!

All in all this is a delightful novella, that gave me extra information and fluff about lead characters from previous books, and that makes me eager to read The Pages of the Mind to find out what will happen next for Dafne.

Why should you read it:
It's a wonderful Fantasy Romance read.


============

Find buy links here

Notes on rereading:
I loved seeing Zyr in this novella, knowing what is to come for him. I also really like how this book gives small glimpses of other things to come in the next few books which you don't really notice on a first read.

Next: The Pages of the Mind

No comments: