Wednesday 27 May 2020

I Love You So Mochi - Book Review


I Love You So Mochi
by Sarah Kuhn


What is it about:
Kimi Nakamura loves a good fashion statement. She's obsessed with transforming everyday ephemera into Kimi Originals: bold outfits that make her and her friends feel brave, fabulous, and like the Ultimate versions of themselves. But her mother sees this as a distraction from working on her portfolio paintings for the prestigious fine art academy where she's been accepted for college. So when a surprise letter comes in the mail from Kimi's estranged grandparents, inviting her to Kyoto for spring break, she seizes the opportunity to get away from the disaster of her life.

When she arrives in Japan, she loses herself in Kyoto's outdoor markets, art installations, and cherry blossom festival--and meets Akira, a cute med student who moonlights as a costumed mochi mascot. What begins as a trip to escape her problems quickly becomes a way for Kimi to learn more about the mother she left behind, and to figure out where her own heart lies.


What did I think of it:
I love Kuhn's Heroine books, so I really wanted to give her YA book I Love You So Mochi a try as well. The hardcover was a bit too expensive for me though, so I had to wait until the release of the paperback.

And it was well worth the wait.

What a lovely and beautiful story.

Yes: the romance between Kimi and Akira is super sweet and adorable, but it was Kimi's grandparents who stole my heart. I can tell you that I totally rooted for them to win Kimi's love, and their interaction with Kimi and with each other was so sweet and heartwarming. I totally had to blink away tears a time or two.

Kimi's own journey of self discovery with Akira at her side is really fun as well. I was invested from the start and read the book in almost one sitting. *shakes fist at intrusions and responsibilities*

All in all this book is a delight to read and you can bet it's going on my keeper shelves. Now the wait begins for the next Heroine book.

Why should you read it:
It's a sweet and fluffy YA delight.


buy from bookdepository

No comments: