Friday 22 May 2020

Wicked Lovely - Book Review


Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)
by Melissa Marr


What is it about:
Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost — regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.


What did I think of it:
I got my trotters on the second book in this series in 2014 and read it back then without reading the first book. I really enjoyed it, but wasn't sure about the lead characters in this book, who had a small role in book 2. Anyway: a friend gifted me the entire series last year, and when I recently saw the cover of the prequel book which just released this month, I wanted it! So it was time to read this series from the start and see if I'd love the other books as much as the one book I already read.

And what a cool read this is!

The story was nothing like I thought it would be, and that's a good thing I can tell you. I expected a love triangle comparable with Twilight or one of the gazilion other YA books with love triangles. Instead I got a darkly alluring tale with faeries who don't think like humans, and don't treat love as humans do.

It's clear Keenan wants something from Aislinn, but it's far different than what I thought, and I was hooked from the start. I needed to find out what all these creepy fairies wanted from Aislinn, and if she would be able to stay true to herself and her friends.

I was gripped by both the story and the world Marr creates within the pages of this book. You bet I immediately picked up book 2 for a reread as soon as I finished this one.

Why should you read it:
It's a darkly alluring YA Urban Fantasy read.


buy from bookdepository

No comments: