Monday 9 April 2012

And the Band Played On - Titanic Music


A lot has been told about the band that bravely kept on playing while the Titanic sank.
Did they really play 'Nearer, my God, to Thee'?

There are many CDs with music from that time period and songs that might have been played that fateful night, but there is one that is my absolute favorite:

'And the Band Played On' by Grupetto

Grupetto tried to reconstruct what music was played on the Titanic by reading accounts by survivors and by checking the play lists for White Star Line ships.

The list of songs they came up with is one that contains both songs people actually heard the night of the sinking and of songs that the band played in the days before the sinking. And even though it's highly unlikely the band did play 'Nearer, my God, to Thee' the song is included on the CD.

Apart from this CD being a great addition to my Titanic collection, the music itself is really good in my opinion. click the following link to listen to one of the many beautiful songs that's on the CD: Vision of Salome

When researching for this post I discovered this CD is out of print....
But fear not: I also discovered that Grupetto made a new CD that will be available this month called 'Titanic's Last Walz'.

So if you like ragtime music or if you are interested in hearing the music that was played on the Titanic, keep an eye out for 'Titanic's Last Walz'. I'll be cherishing my copy of 'And the Band Played On', because it's one of my favorite CDs.

1 comment:

Jeffe Kennedy said...

Lovely song - I can see why you like the CD so much.

~plots how to steal it~