Monday 14 May 2012

Legend - Book Review

Legend (Legend #1)
by Marie Lu


What is it about:
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


What did I think of it:
I got a weakness for post-apocalyptic and dystopian settings, so that's why I decided to give this book a try.

Only a few pages in I was reminded why I should always check Young Adult reads before buying them: it was in present tense!

The setting and set up of the story were interesting enough to continue reading though, so I plowed myself a way through the present tense writing. (Why is it that so few authors manage to write present tense in a natural, flowing way?)

And it turned out to be an ok story.
I will confess I never really made a connection with either Day or June: They both were difficult to like. I kept getting annoyed at both of them and at times I wished some of the side characters had actually been the lead characters of this book. The plot and the world building were both cool and interesting enough to keep me reading until I reached the end of the book though.

All in all a nice read (if you can stand present tense), but I probably won't be reading the next book in this series.

Why should you read it:
It has an interesting Dystopian setting


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Glad you enjoyed it enough to keep reading. Dystopian is not my kind of book.

Melliane said...

I can understand your problem... Well at last you tried it. I need to read this one but I really don't know when.