Thursday 25 October 2012

The Restorer - Book Review


The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1)
by Amanda Stevens


What is it about:
My name is Amelia Gray. I'm a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I've always held fast to the rules passed down from my father.

But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe.

It started with the discovery of a young woman's brutalized body in an old Charleston graveyard I've been hired to restore. The clues to the killer--and to his other victims--lie in the headstone symbolism that only I can interpret.

Devlin needs my help, but his ghosts shadow his every move, feeding off his warmth, sustaining their presence with his energy. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I've vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the symbols lead me closer to the killer and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next.


What did I think of it:
This is a beautiful story.

For most parts this book reads like a good murder mystery, but the added paranormal aspects give it an extra layer.

I did think the paranormal aspects also gave the story a depressing and sad mood at times. The thought of the ghost of the dead latching on to the living because they can't let go was a very depressing and sad one for me I'll confess.

The murder mystery was really suspenseful and I loved how little clues were found and added up to close in on the killer. The use of graveyard symbolism was really interesting. I myself love old graveyards, so this part of the story really intrigued me.

The growing attraction between Amelia and Devlin was well written although frustrating at times. There was lots of pushing and pulling going on and although that was really intense and emotional at times it also made me fear for the outcome.

All in all this is a sad but also beautiful story and I will need to read the next book soon to find out what happens next.

Why should you read it:
It's a suspenseful Paranormal murder mystery


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

M.A.D. said...

You had me at *parasitic nature of the dead* ... but yeah, a trifle depressing to be sure. Still, good review and I think I'd enjoy this one as well <3

Demented Wench said...

Cemeteries, ghosts, murder mystery, and romance...I think I may have to get this one. :)