Wednesday 30 July 2014

A Cat, a Hat and a Piece of String - Book Review


A Cat, a Hat and a Piece of String
by Joanne Harris


What is it about:
'Stories are like Russian dolls; open them up, and in each one you'll find another story.'

Conjured from a wickedly imaginative pen, here is a new collection of short stories that showcases Joanne Harris's exceptional storytelling art. Sensuous, wicked, mischievous, uproarious and wry, here are tales that combine the everyday with the unexpected; wild fantasy with bittersweet reality.

From the house where it is Christmas all year round, to a ghost who lives on a Twitter timeline; from the Congo where a young girl braves the raging rapids to earn a crust of bread, to Norse gods battling for survival in Manhattan; and a newborn baby created with sugar, spice and lashings of cake, these stories will ensnare and delight you with their variety and inventiveness.


What did I think of it:
So far I only read complete novels by Joanne Harris, and I loved those. So when I came across this book with short stories I had to give it a try.

And this is a wonderful collection of short stories. Joanne Harris' style is in itself enough to keep you reading, no matter the subject of her stories. I loved the flow of her prose: it's vivid and imaginative.

But her style isn't the only thing to love in this book. The stories themselves are beautiful as well. Some are funny, some deep, some touching, while yet other stories are all of those things in one.

As in all collections there were stories I liked more than the others, and stories I liked less, but overall I very much enjoyed this book and I look forward to getting my hands on more books by Joanne Harris.

Why should you read it:
It's a well-written collection of short stories.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Aurian said...

I do like the title.