Friday 30 January 2015

From a Whisper to a Scream - Book Review


From a Whisper to a Scream (Newford #3)
by Charles de Lint


What is it about:
In the early 1990s, Charles de Lint wrote and published three dark fantasy novels under the pen name "Samuel M. Key”. Now, Orb presents them for the first time under de Lint’s own name.

Years after the death of a notorious child murderer, people have begun to die again...and a crime photographer begins to suspect he has the one true clue that connects the horrific events.


What did I think of it:
After reading and really liking The Blue Girl I wanted to read more by Charles de Lint. I decided to pick this book because it sounded like it might be a dark and scary read.

And it is indeed a lot darker and a lot more grim, but just as beautiful despite its darkness.

The story is told from multiple viewpoints, some of the characters likable, others far more seedier. My favorite character was Thomas Morningstar, a Native American police officer. I thought the story line about him trying to find his place in society, torn between his loyalty to his tribe and his desire to make a place for himself in the world outside of the reservation was very compelling.

The overall story is very gripping and suspenseful. It doesn't take long to figure out who the killer is, but it's all about how, and if, he can be stopped. There are themes of abuse, trying to move on from life shattering events, and holding on to the past.

This story isn't an easy one, but still I loved it and was drawn in. The ending gives hope, and I will most probably reread this book in the future. And I most certainly will get my trotters on more books by de Lint.

Why should you read it:
It's a dark, but compelling read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Any book that is good for rereading is a great book! I haven't read anything by Charles de Lint yet, but you've made the strongest possible recommendation here! =)

Sullivan McPig said...

If you try a book by de Lint I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I