Friday 20 March 2015

Tempest Rising - Book Review


Tempest Rising (Jane True #1)
by Nicole Peeler


What is it about:
Living in small town Rockabill, Maine, Jane True always knew she didn't quite fit in with so-called normal society. During her nightly, clandestine swim in the freezing winter ocean, a grisly find leads Jane to startling revelations about her heritage: she is only half-human.

Now, Jane must enter a world filled with supernatural creatures alternatively terrifying, beautiful, and deadly- all of which perfectly describe her new "friend," Ryu, a gorgeous and powerful vampire.

It is a world where nothing can be taken for granted: a dog can heal with a lick; spirits bag your groceries; and whatever you do, never-ever rub the genie's lamp.


What did I think of it:
This is a very entertaining read.

Jane is a fun lead character, and I enjoyed discovering the existence of all the magical creatures through her eyes. The book was less snarky than I feared it would be. Jane does have some snarky conversations with herself, but it was fun instead of overdone as in some books that are being called snarky by other reviewers.

The mystery storyline that pushes Jane into the supernatural world felt a bit wobbly, and seemed to be added more to make sure Jane gets introduced to her heritage and the other magical creatures, than that it was actually a solid storyline. I didn't mind though, the story was entertaining and fun even without a decent mystery.

The ending leaves open enough things to make me wonder what will be next for Jane. I already have the second book, so I will pick it up soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun Paranormal read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Very nice review Sullivan, thank you. I have more faith in starting it now.

Melliane said...

One of my friends is just so loving this series! I really want to try!