Wednesday 10 February 2016

Slave to Sensation - Book Review


Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1)
by Nalini Singh


What is it about:
In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them would be to sentence herself to the horror of "rehabilitation" - the complete psychic erasure of everything she ever was...

Both human and animal, Lucas Hunter is a changeling hungry for the very sensations the Psy disdain. After centuries of uneasy coexistence, these two races are now on the verge of war over the brutal murders of several changeling women. Lucas is determined to find the Psy killer who butchered his packmate, and Sascha is his ticket into their closely guarded society. But he soon discovers that this ice-cold Psy is very capable of passion - and that the animal in him is fascinated by her. Caught between their conflicting worlds, Lucas and Sascha must remain bound to their identities - or sacrifice everything for a taste of darkest temptation.


What did I think of it:
I love the Guild Hunter books by Nalini Singh, but the huge number of books in the Psy-Changeling series has put me off on starting it, even though I had this book (signed even) in my TBR pile.

But I finally decided to gather my courage and give this series a try.

And this is a really fun read.

This story is less gritty and not as intense as the Guild Hunter books, but that's not a bad thing. I liked the world building and the characters. As often happens in PNR series we're introduced to lots of side characters who'll get their own book further in the series. I can say I'm already curious about some of them.

Although there's a suspense storyline, the focus is on the romance between Lucas and Sascha (I think Sascha is a guy name, btw, so I wasn't a fan of it). I do hope we'll learn more about the Psy and their network in future books, I liked those parts of the suspense storyline the best.

All in all this is a really nice read. I got book two of this series for my birthday, so I'll be giving that a try soon as well.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun PNR read.

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Yes Sascha is so a male name. All those Alexander's agree

Maia said...

this was my gateway book to Nalini. Is has forever a place on my all time favourites shelf.
As a series I prefer the Guild-Hunter one, but this series has some great books! I'm currently reading the latest one. You got a lot of good books to look forward to.

Aurian said...

Glad you enjoyed it ! Do you want the second book signed as well? Nalini is coming to Berlin again.
I do love this series, although some books a little less than others. The last few are amazing though. You will get more than enough of the NetMind :)