Monday 6 June 2016

The Crown - Book Review


The Crown (The Selection #5)
by Kiera Cass


What is it about:
When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illéa to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.

Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.


What did I think of it:
After reading The Heir I was sure I wouldn't pick up The Crown, I was that annoyed with The Heir. But then I read Happily Ever After (a collection of novellas) which I enjoyed, and that together with my curiosity about how this story would end made me decide to give The Crown a try after all.

And this book is much better than the previous one.

There's still a couple of things that made me grumble. For one: you don't introduce a character that has a big impact on a story in the second book of a duology.

Grumbles aside: I enjoyed this book a lot more than expected. Eadlyn is shaping up and taking action. I was pleasantly surprised to see she isn't falling for the guy I suspected when he was introduced in The Heir. Instead she's going for a guy I could actually root for.

There are some parts where I think the story stalled a bit, but the book gets better the farther in you get, and the ending was everything I hoped for, making up for the frustration that was The Heir.

All in all this is an enjoyable read and a nice ending to the whole Selection series. I will keep an eye out for other books by Cass.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice and enjoyable YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: