Monday 7 August 2017

Dead Before Dying - Book Review (repost)

Tomorrow it's the release day of World Tree Girl, the second book in the Shadow Valley Manor series, so I'm reposting my review of Dead Before Dying today.

Check back tomorrow for my review of World Tree Girl


Dead Before Dying (Shadow Valley Manor #1)
by Kerry Schafer


What is it about:
In this supernatural thriller, shot through with biting wit, Maureen Keslyn checks herself in to Shadow Valley Manor to recuperate and rehabilitate from her last job. There, she runs afoul of the stern director and makes friends with some of the other residents, mostly older, all harboring either a secret or a grudge. With secrets of her own, like why she has her own Federal Agent checking up on her, and how she injured herself in the first place, Maureen fits right in, even as she sticks out like a thorn.

But Shadow Valley isn't just for rest. Maureen is working undercover, seeking to find and eradicate whatever forces are picking off the residents (and staff) at a grisly clip. With her resources dwindling one death at a time, and unnatural forces seething to rise up once more, Maureen's experience fighting the supernatural will be her only hope to destroy a clever and powerful evil and her only chance at surviving it.

She'll need people as paranoid as she is from the sheriff, to the undertaker's daughter, to a cook whose knife skills in the kitchen could prove deadly out of it if she is going to bring rest to the weary, and peace to the dead...


What did I think of it:
I love Kerry Schafer's The Between books (even though I still haven't read the last book, because I don't want the series to be over), so when I heard about this new series I had to get my trotters on it.

And this is an amazing read!

I loved Maureen from the start and once I read the first few pages I almost couldn't put it down. If not for the fact I had appointments to keep, I would have finished this book in one sitting, it's that engaging.

Maureen meets some really cool people, and some rather nasty people as well, but all were interesting. As one death after another happens I was totally invested in Maureen and her unlikely allies getting to the truth of things.

The writing and story are fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat. There's also lots of humor to keep you entertained as well. I reached the ending of this book much too soon in my opinion. I want to read much, much more about Maureen.

Luckily there will most likely be a sequel, so I'll be keeping an eye out for that!

Why should you read it:
It's a witty and awesome Supernatural Thriller.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: