Monday 13 November 2017

Blood Beast - Book Review


Blood Beast (The Demonata #5)
by Darren Shan


What is it about:
Grubbs Grady has so far escaped the family curse, but when he begins to experience alarming symptoms at the onset of the full moon, he is scared that the jaws of fate are opening and about to swallow him whole.

He has cheated death, defeated demons, moved on with his life. But Grubbs is torn between the world of magic and his wolfen genes. Can he fight the beast inside or will he fall victim to his tainted blood?


What did I think of it:
I loved Bec, which could easily be read as a standalone, so it took me a while to gather the courage to pick up book 5 in this series, knowing I'd be going back to the continuing adventures of Grubbs.

You see: I do not like Grubbs most of the time. He's a self centered little jerk. He's friends with those who are useful to him instead of being friends for who they are. And he is telling himself and the reader that is ok, because all kids act like that. I can tell you: no, not all kids are like that. Just jerks like Grubbs are like that.

Still the story was compelling enough to keep reading although there was a lot of grumbling towards Grubbs. I sure am starting to hope that Bill-E will man up and kick Grubbs ungrateful ass.

Things are a bit predictable in this book again, and it seems there was a red herring in a previous book, because something I expected to happen there and thought I'd gotten wrong, happened in this book.

All in all a nice read, although I'm reading it more for the action and the other characters than for Grubbs. I'll pick up the next book soon.

Why should you read it:
It's an entertaining read for younger teens.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: