Wednesday 16 October 2019

Blood Doctrine - Book Review


Blood Doctrine: Re Education is in Order (Blood Saga #1)
by Maquel A. Jacob


What is it about:
The new generation of vampires has their elders disgusted with their ignorance and lack of social grace. Re-education is in order so they ship the blood thirsty ingrates to boarding school in hopes they catch some common sense. And the young ones don’t like one bit.

Chase Ambrook deems himself a social butterfly living the carefree life. Princess Adelia only sees humans as playthings for her sadistic games. Falson Sapienti spends his days engaging in carnal escapades.

War is coming.

As successors to take over their covens they must buck up and act responsible for once in their lives. Losing the battle means extinction but it may be too much of a burden for this group of spoiled blood suckers.


What did I think of it:
I picked up this book at Worldcon, wanting to try a new to me author.

And this book is... weird.

Parts of it were very entertaining, some disturbing, and others just plain weird.

I liked the overall worldbuilding, and the start of this book was very entertaining, but the behavior of the main characters really put me off of them. They each have a servant/bodyguard and at least two seem to think it's perfectly normal to demand a sexual relationship with that servant whether they want to or not.

I don't like relationships where one of the two parties has no way to refuse and stays in this position with no promise of a change in the lopsided state of the relationship. So with no one to really root for I did wonder at times if I should keep reading.

I was curious enough how things would turn out and if the main characters would grow up, so that kept me reading until a new development drove the story into the bizarre. From there on out I kind of stayed in WTF mode until the end.

All in all this book had promise, but certain aspects and events made it not the right book for me. I might investigate what other books Jacob has written and if they're more to my taste.

Why should you read it:
It's an interesting take on vampires.


Buy from Bookdepository or Amazon

No comments: