Friday 17 April 2020

Bounty Hunter - Book Review


Bounty Hunter: Lone Gunfighter of the Wastelands
by Rachel Aukes


What is it about:
The world went down the crapper.

Then the revolution came. Things stink even worse now.

The wealthy Sloan brothers stake their claim over the lawless wastelands. With no one to stand against them, the people are left to the mercy of the corrupt tyrants. We need a gunfighter who isn't afraid to stand against impossible odds. The problem is that all the heroes died in the revolution… which means we'll have to settle for "Havoc" Joe Ballast.

Ballast is no stranger to bad luck, but when the Sloan brothers corner him, they'll soon learn that you should never, ever underestimate the Bounty Hunter.


What did I think of it:
Rachel Aukes' Deadland Saga is one of my all time favorite reads, so you bet I jumped on the chance to read and review this book, especially as it was pitched to me as "The Mandalorian meets Fallout". Who can resist that?!

And this is such a cool read!

Havoc/Joe isn't a nice guy. He's not a bad guy either, but he's jaded, practical, and totally shoots first if it looks like bullets will start flying. He does have his soft spots though, and those make that you can root for him, and they are what gets him in trouble.

I loved the setting, which indeed reminded me of some of the Fallout games. It's a grim world, full of bandits, so called law makers, bounty hunters, and those who are just trying very hard to survive. There are mentions of the wars that led to this situation, and that add to the overall atmosphere in this book.

From the start this book is full of action and I was hooked right away. I could really relate to Joe, even though he can be quite the grump (or maybe because he's a grump ;-) ). I really enjoyed the narrative voice, which is quite humorous at times. It mostly follows Joe, but switches to other characters at times as well. I especially loved T-Rex of the other characters: a bounty hunter who's even more pragmatic than Joe.

All in all this is a really great read, and you bet I'm getting my hands on the next book, because I want more!

Why should you read it:
Mandalorian meets Fallout! Need I really say more?


buy from Amazon

No comments: