Monday 22 June 2020

Twelve Kingdoms Reread: The Fate of the Tala - Book Review

When I started on this reread I was convinced I'd finish sooner, especially when I binge read The Chronicles of Dasnaria books in a week. But other books needed to be read as well, the world went weird, and other stuff happened that slowed down my reread, so that now it's June already!

Here is my review of the concluding novel in the series, and I have some happy news at the end as well.


The Fate of the Tala (The Uncharted Realms #5)
by Jeffe Kennedy


What is it about:
The exciting conclusion of the story begun in The Mark of the Tala

An Uneasy Marriage,

An Unholy Alliance.

The tales tell of three sisters, daughters of the high king. The eldest, a valiant warrior-woman, conquered her inner demons to become the high queen. The youngest, and most beautiful outlived her Prince Charming and found a strength beyond surface loveliness.

And the other one, Andi? The introverted, awkward middle princess is now the Sorceress Queen, Andromeda—and she stands at the precipice of a devastating war.

As the undead powers of Deyrr gather their forces, their High Priestess focuses on Andi, undermining her at every turn. At the magical barrier that protects the Thirteen Kingdoms from annihilation, the massive Dasnarian navy assembles, ready to pounce the moment Andi’s strength fails. And, though her sisters and friends gather around her, Andi finds that her husband, Rayfe, plagued with fears over her pregnancy, has withdrawn, growing ever more distant.

Fighting battles on too many fronts, Andi can’t afford to weaken, as she’s all that stands between all that’s good in the world and purest evil.

For Andi, the time to grow into her true power has come...


What did I think of this:
*insert happy piggy flailing*

This book is so good!

This story is told from the viewpoint of Andi and with her taking the lead again everything is coming to a full circle. Danger and the enemy are looming and it will take not just Andi and her powers, but everyone to bring this all to a happy end.

I loved revisiting Andi, and loved seeing how she is growing into the power she discovered back in The Mark of the Tala. With both Dasnaria and the priestess of Deyrr closing in this story is full of suspense, danger, action, and emotion. As Andi fights to save her kingdom and the people she loves, she is thwarted from an unexpected source, and I was on the edge of my seat, even knowing Jeffe Kennedy wouldn't let something happen that would break my heart.

What she does do very well is getting me to sniffle and tear up at several moments. Seeing all the characters she made me fall in love with over the course of these books coming together and trying to turn the tide is powerful and emotional.

The conclusion of this book and these series is epic and wonderful!

There's one thing left unfinished, but overall this book is a perfect ending to a wonderful series, that I will keep rereading for sure.

Why should you read it:
Don't tell me you haven't started on this series yet after all my fanpiggying!


As for my happy news and that one unfinished thing:
Next week will see the release of The Lost Princess Returns, a short novel that deals with the last remaining problem, and that features Ivariel from The Chronicles of Dasnaria!

You bet I'm getting my greedy trotters on a print version as soon as I can!


Find buy links for The Fate of the Tala here, and for The Lost Princess Returns here

No comments: