Friday 19 February 2021

Starsight - DNF Book Review

 

Starsight (Skyward #2)
by Brandon Sanderson

What is it about:
All her life, Spensa has dreamed of becoming a pilot. Of proving she's a hero like her father. She made it to the sky, but the truths she learned about her father were crushing.

Spensa is sure there's more to the story. And she's sure that whatever happened to her father in his starship could happen to her. When she made it outside the protective shell of her planet, she heard the stars--and it was terrifying. Everything Spensa has been taught about her world is a lie.

But Spensa also discovered a few other things about herself--and she'll travel to the end of the galaxy to save humankind if she needs to.

What did I think of it:
I really wanted to love this book, because I loved Skyward.

And it has a lot of good things. There's cool action, and interesting new species and characters. What's lacking for me though is Spensa thinking about things and reflecting on what she's learned at the end of Skyward.

She loves to make humanity the victim of 'the evil aliens!', but lacks the ability to investigate the past. What did the humans do? Are they really just victims, or were the aliens right or even partially right? I wanted Spensa to question things, but instead she just blunders on convinced everyone is just being mean.

Maybe later in the book things will get more clear, or Spensa will finally stop and think, but it wasn't happening soon enough in my opinion, making it so that I just couldn't sympathize with her. With this missing emotional link to Spensa I just wasn't invested enough in the story, so I Did Not Finish, and cast the book aside.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool SF story


buy from amazon

No comments: