Monday 4 July 2022

The Tin Rose - Book Rant by Voodoo Bride

 

The Tin Rose (Elemental Steampunk Stories #1)
by Anne Renwick

What is it about:
A gypsy's promise. A clockwork poison. A race to save a love balanced on the edge.

On the night they were to elope, a spurned lover returned. A gift, she claimed. But the clockwork contraption unwound a poisonous bloom, sending Lady Emily and Luca, her gypsy love, on a desperate race to reach the cure.

What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I think I got this short story when it was free on amazon over 3 years ago. Recently I decided to give it a try.

First: I must say I was very put off by the use of the word gypsy. This book might be a couple of years old, but when this released in 2017 gypsy was already considered a slur. I tried to read past it though.

And then there was the second problem with this short story: the main villain is a Roma woman who is alluring, jealous, and sly, while the heroine is a nice and sweet high born lady. Even with these stereotypes that throw even more shade on the Roma, I stuck with the story though. 

Was it worth it?

Meh... The story annoyed me more than it entertained me. The writing was pleasant though, so maybe, just maybe I'll investigate if Renwick has other stories that don't feature blatant stereotypes and slurs.

Why should you read it:
I'd advice you to read another one of Renwick's books




No comments: