Thursday 31 August 2023

Love, Theoretically - Book Review by Voodoo Bride

 

Love, Theoretically
by Ali Hazelwood

What is it about:
The many lives of theoretical physicist Elsie Hannaway have finally caught up with her. By day, she’s an adjunct professor, toiling away at grading labs and teaching thermodynamics in the hopes of landing tenure. By other day, Elsie makes up for her non-existent paycheck by offering her services as a fake girlfriend, tapping into her expertly honed people pleasing skills to embody whichever version of herself the client needs.

Honestly, it’s a pretty sweet gig—until her carefully constructed Elsie-verse comes crashing down. Because Jack Smith, the annoyingly attractive and broody older brother of her favorite client, turns out to be the cold-hearted experimental physicist who ruined her mentor’s career and undermined the reputation of theorists everywhere. And that same Jack who now sits on the hiring committee at MIT, right between Elsie and her dream job.

Elsie is prepared for an all-out war of scholarly sabotage but…those long, penetrating looks? Not having to be anything other than her true self when she’s with him? Will falling into an experimentalist’s orbit finally tempt her to put her most guarded theories on love into practice?

What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I really enjoyed Hazelwood's first two novels, but really did not like her novella's. So it was with a bit of apprehension that I picked up this book.

Luckily my streak of enjoying the novels continued!

I think I liked this one even a bit more than the second novel, although the first is still the best (although that might just be because of the novelty of discovering a new to my author).

I really liked both Elsie and Jack. Elsie is less of a quirky character and more serious than Hazelwood's usual heroines and I must say I liked that. She has some serious issues she should work on, but I could understand where they came from. Jack starts out as the same kind of broody, grumpy hero as all of Hazelwood's heroes, but cleans up very nicely. I could really understand his hangups as well.

 As in previous books some of the plot 'twists' were easily to predict, but that's not a bad thing as I read these books for the romance and not for the suspense.

All in all a very enjoyable read. I'll keep an eye out for the next novel.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and enjoyable Contemporary Romance.  


No comments: